Thursday, February 01, 2007

How different is a Mac?

My exploration of the Mac world goes on and the longer I do this, the less impressed I am.
OK, the hardware is clearly cool designed (while a little overpriced), clear point for the Mac.

But what's about the rest? It's a lot about advertising which is clearly just marketing. Still waiting for the day when virus programmers start conquering the Mac - or Linux - to blast away those "I am a Mac, I am totally secure" (see also this German conclussion of the MOAB). And still waiting for the first bug-free (thus secure) operating system, too.

I recently discovered an old feature which is so popular in the Windows world in OS X: The reboot-after-update feature. I was even more surprised when this happened after a simple quicktime update. At least Windows let you delay the reboot...

Still, MacOS X feels a little weired: it has this BSD foundation but when I finally try to claim my freedom I have trouble finding the config files to edit by hand - e.g. to replace this stupid Mac keyboard layout with the correct one.